Jaisalmer Fort, also known as Sonar Quila, is a stunning architectural masterpiece located in the city of Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, India. This fort is one of the few forts in the world that is still inhabited by people. It was built in the 12th century by the Rajput ruler, Rawal Jaisal, and is considered one of the most magnificent forts in India. Here are some reasons why you should visit Jaisalmer Fort.
- A glimpse of the past: Jaisalmer Fort is a symbol of the rich history and culture of Rajasthan. It has been witness to several battles, and the fort walls still carry the scars of war. Visiting the fort will give you a glimpse of the past and an understanding of the way of life in ancient Rajasthan.
- Architectural Marvel: The architecture of Jaisalmer Fort is a mix of Rajput and Islamic styles. The fort is made of yellow sandstone, which gives it a golden glow at sunset, hence the name ‘Sonar Quila.’ The fort has four gateways, and inside, you will find several palaces, havelis, and temples, each with its unique design and style.
- Rich Culture: The people living inside the fort have a rich culture and heritage that is unique to Jaisalmer. You will find many shops selling handicrafts, textiles, and jewelry, all made by local artisans. You can also witness the traditional Rajasthani music and dance performances, which are a treat for the eyes and ears.
- Spectacular Views: The fort is situated on a hill, and from the top, you can get a breathtaking view of the entire city. The view is especially mesmerizing during sunset, as the fort walls and the surrounding buildings turn golden in color.
- Historical Significance: Jaisalmer Fort is not just a tourist attraction, but also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is considered one of the best-preserved forts in India and has been a center of trade and commerce for centuries.
In conclusion, a visit to Jaisalmer Fort is a must for anyone visiting Rajasthan. It offers a unique blend of history, culture, and architecture, and the experience of walking through its narrow alleys and courtyards is something you will never forget. So, make sure to add Jaisalmer Fort to your list of places to visit in Jaisalmer, and immerse yourself in the rich history and culture of this incredible city.